What to Wear with Leopard Print Shoes
As date nights, get-togethers, and work presentations round the corner, the leopard print shoes lurking in the back of your closet may be ready to pounce on your next outfit idea.
But, knowing what to wear with leopard print shoes for women can present a bit of a challenge.
Fortunately, this guide is designed to walk leopard-lovers through the dos and don’ts of wearing a leopard print shoe, whether you’re looking to bolster your spotty wardrobe or add a statement piece to your fashionista flair.
What Does Leopard Print Go With?
First, let’s talk about leopard vs. cheetah print. Leopards have tan coats with black spots that almost resemble the petals of a flower or a honeycomb. Within the spots is a brown center that’s slightly darker than the rest of the fur. It’s this element that distinguishes leopard print from cheetah print—cheetah coats are also tan, but their spots are solid black, like a dalmatian.
That being said, cheetah prints are more subdued, while leopard prints are dynamic and compelling, creating the perfect print for a statement shoe.
Since leopard prints are so lively, it’s essential to curate your outfit around the print, rather than the other way around. To do this, consider three key factors: color, pattern, and occasion.
First, let’s look at the colors that complement leopard print shoes. The brown and tan pattern in these prints pairs well with natural-toned colors, such as:
- Dark tan
Pairing leopard print shoes with other patterns can get a little more complicated, but it’s not impossible.
Since leopard print is fairly busy, you’ll want to avoid overdoing it by wearing patterns that contrast with the leopard spots. For example, you won’t want to pair leopard print flats with cherry-print capris. Instead, opt for more subtle patterns or prints, such as:
You’ll also want to choose patterns that are similar in size and proportion to the print on your shoes and select patterns that share a common color as your shoes, such as black or brown.
However, you can also make a bold statement with a red plaid overcoat and a pair of leopard print booties. Just be sure that a solid color breaks up the two prints, such as dark blue skinny jeans or a black skirt.
For a dressed-down look, try wearing your favorite leopard print slip-ons to a dinner with friends. Finish the outfit with stone-wash denim boyfriend jeans, a white t-shirt, and an ikat blazer.
Like leopards themselves, leopard print shoes are fascinating and unique, making them completely versatile and appropriate for all occasions.
If you’re planning an outfit for a night on the town, you may want to ditch your leopard print sneakers for leopard booties or wedges instead. These can be styled with straight-leg pants, skirts, or dresses. Just be sure to incorporate a few neutral tones into your outfit.
On the other hand, a more casual event like a family barbecue or weekend brunch will go perfectly with a leopard print sneaker or sandal, a pair of blue skinny jeans, and a patterned top.
How to Dress For The Occasion in Leopard Print Shoes
Let's be honest, you’re probably not going to be wearing leopard print footwear with your everyday outfit ideas. Knowing what to wear with cheetah print shoes is only half the battle. Once you’ve identified your colors and patterns and matched them to your destination, it’s time to craft your outfit. If you’re in need of some inspiration, we’ve put together some of our favorite casual outfit ideas for leopard shoes according to the occasion:
- Summer brunch – Need a pair of fun shoes to go with your new navy blue sundress? These leopard print wedge sandals are of the trendy sneakers 2022 has to offer and are the perfect combination of comfort and style. They’ll keep your toes comfy as you walk to the brunch spot and make an impression in photos.
- Date night – Tired of wearing the same pair of black flats for nights out? Elevate your style with a pair of leopard print mule wedges. A simple pair of dressy black pants and a flowy top will complete your look.
- Beach day – Looking for a new pair of sandals to wear to the beach? Try pairing leopard print flip-flops with your favorite bathing suit or cover-up. They’ll keep your feet comfy (and stylish) as you stroll across the sand.
- Doggy play date – Excited to get your pup out of the house to burn off some energy at the dog park? Add a fun pair of classic white sneakers with leopard pattern midsoles to your leggings and t-shirt combo. This particular style is one of the best shoes that go with everything your closet has to offer.
How to Shop for Leopard Print Shoes
When shopping for leopard print footwear, you’ll want to make sure you don’t sacrifice comfort for style. As such, look for the following in your next pair of leopard shoes:
- Comfortable soles that provide support
- Straps that don’t rub uncomfortably on your foot
- Styles of shoes that you can wear with multiple outfits
Comfort is a must, but you should also consider versatility. While a pair of leopard-print stilettos are certainly the epitome of elegance, they won’t be suited to everyday wear. Instead, choose a style that works with many different outfits and occasions so you can rock leopard print to your heart's content.
TOMS: Leopard Print That Roars
If you’re ready to get wild with your fashion choices this summer, then animal print shoes are an excellent way to start. Leopard prints are the perfect way to spice up your shoe collection and walk ahead of the pack.
If you’re in need of a comfortable and sustainable leopard print shoe, TOMS has you covered.
Our collection of animal print shoes includes several different styles, including sandals, alpargatas, and wedges that fit any occasion. You’ll love the look and comfort of our shoes and feel good wearing them. Check out our selection today.
- Safaris Africana. Cheetah vs Leopard. https://safarisafricana.com/cheetah-vs-leopard/
Reviewed By Andrew David Stewart
Andrew David Stewart is the Manager of Digital Marketing at TOMS and has been working in the digital marketing and social media world for 6 years. Andrew is a lover of nature and the outdoors, and is passionate about telling stories through digital media.