6 Women’s Shoes That Go with Everything
Few things are more satisfying than finding a pair of shoes that go with everything, whether you’re poring over the menu of your favorite tapas spot or strolling along the seaside, ice cream cone in hand.
A versatile pair of shoes can do wonders for your style—and the environment, too. By limiting your shoe collection to one or two go-to’s, you’ll be one step closer to your perfect sustainable capsule wardrobe and seasons of mod outfits fit for any occasion.
In this guide, we’ll explore six of our favorite types of shoes that you can wear with just about anything to take you where you need to go in style.
Alpargatas, also called espadrilles, are one of the most flexible types of shoes you can own. These multi-purpose slip-ons have been around for centuries. In fact, the earliest mention of alpargatas dates back to fourteenth-century Spain, but they were most likely popularized as early as the thirteenth century.
The reason these shoes have remained a mainstay around the world is because of their ease of wear. That’s because alpargatas feature several traits that make them incredibly comfortable and popular, including:
- Cozy soles in a variety of materials, including rubber, jute, and rope
- Flexible uppers
- Many patterns and colors to choose from
- Versatility, depending on your style
Top Alpargata Looks
Alpargatas are go-to shoes because their uppers are often made of flexible, organic materials that naturally fit in with any outfit:
- Canvas – Canvas is a type of sturdy cotton that is beloved for its ability to withstand heavy wear. You can also purchase canvas alpargatas made from canvas material that’s been treated with waterproofing agents.
- Felt – On those chilly days, you can still wear alpargatas. Just look for shoes with cozy uppers, such as felt. You’ll love the stylish look and your toes will stay nice and warm.
- Cotton – Cotton is another popular upper material for alpargatas. Cotton uppers are more lightweight and breathable than other materials, making them a winning choice for summer picnics and drinks on the patio. Look for recycled cotton options for the most eco-friendly shoe experience.
- Crochet – When you want something that looks dressy but feels amazingly comfortable on your feet, look for crochet upper alpargatas. These are the perfect shoes to take you to all of your summer activities, from casual to dressed up.
As mentioned, alpargatas come in a wide variety of colors, prints, and patterns, so we don’t blame you if you need help finding what to wear with leopard print shoes. A general rule of thumb is to let your shoes do the talking, and opt for more subdued clothing pieces.
When Can You Wear Alpargatas?
Alpargatas are a unique shoe in that they can go with just about any outfit you’d wear day-to-day. Alpargatas are lovely worn with:
- Long, flowy skirts
As a bonus, alpargatas come in an extensive variety of colors and patterns, so there’s sure to be one that catches your eye and suits your style.
Depending on the climate where you live, sandals might be your ideal summer shoe or your year-round footwear of choice. Sandals are perfect for warm weather because they have openings that allow your feet to breathe.
Similar to alpargatas, sandals also come in a wide range of styles appropriate for casual and dressy wear.
Top Sandals Looks
Going to a garden party? Need something comfy to slip on at the beach? Have dinner plans after work on a summer evening? Sandals can get along great with outfits for all occasions. That said, some of our favorite sandal styles include:
- Flat, strappy sandals perfect for work and summer dinners out
- Cushy flip-flops for beach or everyday wear
- Comfortable, multi-wear slides for work, dinners, or running errands
When Can You Wear Sandals?
If the weather is warm, you can wear sandals for just about any occasion. Some of our favorite sandal-worthy events include:
- Balmy beach days
Choosing a pair of sandals that are comfortable and look good with most of your outfits is a winning choice for summer footwear.
You might think of sneakers as the athletic shoes you wear to go for a run or workout in the gym. And you’d be right—the term sneakers refer to shoes that have a rubber sole. However, sneakers are extremely versatile and come in a variety of styles that match everything from sundresses to dress pants.
Top Sneaker Looks
While there are many styles of sneakers out there, we’re going to focus on the two most flexible styles: slip-on and canvas lace-ups. These two styles are prized for their wide-ranging appeal. Let’s get to know these sneakers:
- Slip-on – Slip-on sneakers often resemble alpargatas and, in many cases, are lumped into the same category. What differentiates the sneaker style from others is the thick, cushioned rubber sole. Canvas uppers in a variety of colors give slip-on sneakers a casual and fun look that’s perfect for mid-morning brunch or late-night drinks.
- Canvas lace-ups – Classic canvas lace-up sneakers have been in style for years, and continue to be one of the trendy sneakers 2022 has to offer. Why? They’re comfortable and cute. Dress them up with a leather skirt, or dress them down with a pair of denim jean shorts. No matter the outfit or occasion, you’re sure to feel comfortable all day long. Every wardrobe needs a classic white sneaker to accompany virtually any look, casual outfit, or formal.
When Can You Wear Sneakers?
Sneakers aren’t just for working out. They look cute and stylish with many of your favorite outfits, including:
- Casual dresses
Depending on your office’s rules, you might even be able to wear sneakers to work. And they’re perfect for brunch, casual dates, and summer parties.
Booties are a type of short boot that come right up to the ankle, meaning they’re more flexible than your knee-high stilettos. They may also have peepholes on the side or complete foot coverage, depending on the style you select. As such, most booties are appropriate for both warm and cold weather.
Top Bootie Looks
Booties come in a variety of styles. Some features to look for include:
- Wedge style heels in short to tall heights
- Leather, suede, or canvas uppers
- Rubber or recycled material soles
Look for a pair that fits comfortably on your feet. Booties should also be snug at the ankle so that they don’t slide up and down.
When Can You Wear Booties?
Booties are typically associated with red scarves, auburn sweaters, and the crisp fall air. But, you can wear booties in warmer weather, too. They’re especially fitting when you’re looking for footwear that easily transitions from the boardroom to the bar. You can also dress them down with a pair of leggings and an oversized t-shirt for casual everyday wear.
Flats are shoes that have low, thin soles and flexible uppers. They come in a wide range of colors, materials, and styles, making them a perfect accessory that dresses up any outfit. Stay comfortable all day at work with a rounded pair, or transition to a night out on the town with suede pointed-toe flats that take elegance to a whole new level.
Top Flats Looks
The thinner soles of flats give them a more dressy look. Some different flat styles we love include:
- Classic almond-shaped toe flats are perfect for office wear and summer walks
- Open-sided flats with a leather-wrapped heel for dressing up and down
- Comfortable suede flats to wear with jeans of all styles, like skinny jeans or boyfriend jeans.
Flats don’t have the thick rubber or jute soles of alpargatas or sneakers. However, that doesn’t mean flats aren’t a comfortable shoe. Look for styles that come with supportive insoles for maximum comfort.
When Can You Wear Flats?
Flats are the ultimate multi-purpose shoe because you can wear them as a dress shoe or a casual shoe. Flats are excellent choices for:
- Shopping excursions with your friends
- Date night
- Casual drinks in summer
- Workdays in the office
- Playdates with your little ones
- Dog walks in the park
There truly is a pair of flats for every occasion.
Wedge shoes have heels in the shape of a wedge. Typically, the heel is made from rubber for optimal comfort and stability. The upper can be made from many different materials, from canvas to leather.
Top Wedge Looks
Since the term wedge refers to the heel, wedge shoes can encompass a wide range of styles, including:
This flexibility makes wedges a popular choice for all, whether you’re punk-rock or minimalist.
When Can You Wear Wedges?
Wedges are a wonderful choice for all manner of social affairs, from summer barbeques to holiday get-togethers. They’re also dressy enough for a date night, and they pair perfectly with a casual sundress and a mimosa.
TOMS: Your Shoe Source for Every Occasion
Whether you’re looking to shrink your shoe collection, cut back your environmental footprint, or streamline your wardrobe, a versatile pair of shoes can get you where you need to go.
When you shop at TOMS, you’ll have a bevy of comfortable shoes to choose from. No matter what color shoes or style you’re looking for, we offer alpargatas, sandals, sneakers, booties, flats, and wedges for all occasions, styles, and seasons. Each pair is made with planet-friendly materials, and when you shop TOMS, you’ll be helping us support grassroots initiatives.
Take a walk on the styled side and browse our selection of women’s shoes today.
- Esquire. The Revolutionary History of Espadrilles. https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-fashion/news/a57038/espadrilles-history-revolution-basque-stylish/
- Apparel Search. Wedge Shoes. https://www.apparelsearch.com/influence/products/w/wedge_shoes.html
Reviewed By Andrew David Stewart
Andrew David Stewart is the Manager of Digital Marketing at TOMS and has been working in the digital marketing and social media world for 6 years. Andrew is a lover of nature and the outdoors, and is passionate about telling stories through digital media.