6 Trendy Sneakers of 2022 & How to Style Them
As a modern woman, you might have a thing for shoes. And it’s understandable: when it comes to getting dressed, shoes are the ultimate accessory. They’re a fun way to express your personal style and make any outfit your own.
But loving shoes isn’t the same as knowing which styles are en vogue and which are old hats. The truth is, fashion moves fast, and keeping up with the constantly changing styles and trends is a big job for even the most plugged-in woman.
No need to worry: that’s why we’ve put together this list of six trendy sneakers 2022 is shaping up to be known for. From the latest trends everyone's talking about to classic looks that never go out of style, here are the top trends to elevate your look.
#1 Platform Sneakers
One of the biggest sneaker trends for women in 2022 is the platform sneaker. Whether you opt for sky-high platforms that put you on a pedestal or something a little closer to the ground, this trendy sneaker is an easy way to achieve a look that winks at the past but has both feet planted firmly in the moment.
Platform sneakers look great with a range of outfits you probably already own. In 2022, trendy women are wearing their platform sneaks with:
- Simple silhouettes – Even if you don’t choose the tallest platforms around, your stylish sneakers are still going to make a big statement. For that reason, they’re an excellent way to add fun and flair to a simple dress or fitted pair of jeans or khakis. To keep it modern and fully on-trend, opt for pants with a wide leg.
- Oversized looks – From jeans to dresses to vintage sweaters with bike shorts, “baggy” is its own early aughts fashion trend that doesn’t seem to be going away. The good news is, platform sneakers are the perfect shoe for balancing out the bottom of your baggiest look.
- Midi skirt – The midi skirt is another big fashion trend for 2022, and that’s a great thing for any woman who loves a pair of platforms. Platform shoes and midi skirts together create a look that recreates the glitz and glam of Y2K culture, which is a wave we’re riding all through 2022.
What’s the best way to wear platform sneakers? Comfortably. From elevated spins on our classic Alpargatas to platform slip-ons and espadrilles, TOMS platform sneakers for women are a stylish and comfy way to take your footwear to the next level.
#2 Low-Rise Lace-Ups
When it comes to the most exciting trendy sneakers 2022 has to offer, you can’t go wrong with a classic pair of low-rise lace-ups, like TOMS Fenix women’s sneakers. They’re a classic sneaker that stays fresh season after season and look after look.
For the gal on the go, a pair of low-rise sneakers are a must-have. Notable for their casual comfort, low-rise sneakers are easy to glam up when the occasion calls for it. Here are two ideas for wearing yours:
- Casual – For a casual but glamorous look that pays homage to modern history’s greatest fashionistas, pair your Fenix sneakers with cuffed or cropped jeans and an oversized button-down shirt.
- Semi-casual – While you probably won’t be wearing your casual sneakers to a super formal event, you can still dress them up. Short skirts or long dresses can elevate this sneaker style and add a bit of street-style edge to a nicer look.
#3 Mallow Alpargatas
If you’ve ever laid in the warm grass and stared up at the summer sky, you may have wondered what it would be like to feel the plush softness of pillowy white clouds on your feet. Well, you won’t have to wonder for much longer with a pair of TOMS Mallow Alpargatas.
As one of our newest styles, the Mallow Alpargata is already popping up on lists of trendy summer shoes for 2022—and it’s easy to see what all the fuss is about.
The Mallow Alpargata is by far one of the most comfortable shoes on this list. This chunky sneaker features puffy padded oversized soles and an OrthoLite® Eco LT Hybrid™ insole that takes dreamy to a whole new level. Once you slip into a pair of Mallows, you’ll never want to take them off.
And the Mallow Alpargatas’ quirky, versatile design means you can wear them with all your favorite summer ensembles, like:
- Slip skirt
- Long dresses
- Jeans or carpenter pants
Slip-on shoes are a classic sneaker favorite—and that’s not changing in 2022. Whether you keep it traditional with a pair of slip-on sneakers or go for a pair of trendy summer shoes like the TOMS Parker slip-on, you’re guaranteed to slide into the fashion A group.
For women, there are a variety of styles of slip-on shoes to choose from, which makes selecting a slip-on sneaker that goes with your favorite looks just as easy as it is to slide into a pair. A simple pair of slip-on sneakers, like TOMS Fenix slip-on, can take you almost anywhere. Wear them with your favorite distressed jeans and a slouchy top for a look that’s sassy and street-smart.
#5 Floral Sneakers
When it comes to shoes, it isn’t always the style that’s trending. And that’s certainly the case in 2022, with sneakers of every style appearing with a very specific embellishment: floral prints.
And this year, florals aren’t just for spring. In fact, the right pair of floral print sneakers styled the right way is a look you can wear all year round. Here are a few tips for styling your floral print kicks:
- Skirt and crop top combo – If you’re going for print on your feet, opt for solid colors up top to make sure your outfit doesn’t clash. Classic white, goth black, or earth tones like beige, brown, and green, are all avenues worth exploring.
- Jeans and a t-shirt – Floral print sneakers with your favorite Levis and vintage concert tee? Absolutely. You can use flowery footwear to soften your grunge look and add whimsy to your wardrobe. Or, wear them with jeans and a classic white t-shirt to add color to a simple look.
#6 Bold Sneakers
If florals aren’t your thing, don’t worry. You can still make a statement without digging up the garden. This year, colors, prints, and patterns are all the rage when it comes to trendy shoes.
Sure, you’ll always need a pair of classic white shoes that go with everything. But for all those other occasions that call for a little more pop, stylish sneakers that traverse the entirety of the color spectrum are just waiting to grace your feet. This is true no matter what sneaker style you prefer, from canvas to high-tops.
You have a few options when incorporating a bold look into your footwear collection:
- Solid colors – Keep it simple with a pair of shoes in an eye-catching solid color. From bright neons to all-black sneakers, don’t be afraid to sample all the colors in the coloring box.
- Prints and patterns – We mentioned florals just a little bit ago, but prints and patterns of all kinds are appearing on this year’s trendiest shoes. Go for all-over prints like polka dots, stripes, leopard print, or graphic images. For what to wear with leopard print shoes, check out our helpful guide.
- Color blocking – Look for shoes that use color blocking for a sleek, modern look that complements your chicest outfits.
Shop Trends and Comfort at TOMS
Regardless of the fickle whims of fashion, when it comes to what you put on your feet, there’s one thing that never goes out of style: comfort.
Fortunately, you don’t have to sacrifice your fashion sense to keep your feet feeling their best. When you treat your feet to a pair of TOMS, you’re choosing shoes that combine unparalleled comfort with styles and designs that don’t just follow trends but set them.
You don’t need to buy luxury sneakers to turn heads. TOMS shoes for women feature an array of today’s trendiest styles, from sky-high platforms and wedges to strappy sandals (and all the sneakers and slip-ons in between). And with our OrthoLite® Eco LT Hybrid™ insoles, you know you’re taking care of your feet.
The best part? TOMS offers sustainable sneakers, designed using recycled resources. Plus, we support grassroots organizations that are working to promote equity and equality around the world.
So what are you waiting for? Shop and explore our variety of shoes for women today.
- Marie Claire. Our 25 Favorite Spring Skirts of 2022. https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/g26536903/best-spring-skirts/
- Marie Claire. 14 Best New Sneakers for Women. https://www.marieclaire.com/fashion/best-sneakers-2022/
Reviewed By Andrew David Stewart
Andrew David Stewart is the Manager of Digital Marketing at TOMS and has been working in the digital marketing and social media world for 6 years. Andrew is a lover of nature and the outdoors, and is passionate about telling stories through digital media.