To show support and raise awareness for World Sight Day we are challenging people to wear sunglasses indoors on October 10, 2013. Whether you are at work, in bed, at a restaurant, inside a movie theater, at the mall or anywhere your day might take you, we want you to “Be Shady” and show your support.
Why wear your sunglasses inside? Well our hope is that your friends, clients, classmates and co-workers ask you what you’re doing with your shades on inside. When they do (because lets face it, they will) this sparks the opportunity to start a powerful dialogue. Most people don’t know that visual impairment effects gender equality, economic opportunities, education and independence. And most people also don’t know that of the 285 million people who are effected 80% don’t have to be. Talk to those who inquire about the power of curing blindness and repairing sight and encourage them to share this simple ‘be shady’ message.
So to start spreading the word: get social with us. Take a picture of yourself wearing your sunglasses indoors and then post it on your social media channels with the hashtag #BESHADY. Need some help getting started? We’ve got 5 selfie tips straight from the Social Media team to help you capture that ‘shady’ shot just right.
1. Capture the perfect shot. Make use of those long arms ya’ got and hold the camera as far from your body as you can. Also holding your phone slightly above your body will help capture some of your surrounding environment.
2. Find an interesting background. Catch people’s attention with a neat backdrop. Whether it be the funky wallpaper in the ladies bathroom, the chalkboard in the hall with the funny things written all over it or some reclaimed wood (we here at TOMS LOVE reclaimed wood).
3. Make funny faces. The message is serious, but you don’t have to be. Make your tongue touch the top of your nose, scrunch your face up, or pretend you’re super surprised. Have fun with it!
4. Snap a few. The first one might not always be the best one, so fire off a few snaps to see what you like best. If you like them all you can collage them together!
5. Use a filter. We admit, we have a dozen different apps to jazz up a photo, and we bet you have a few on your phone too. Try a black and white version of your photo, or stick a horse in the background of your selfie using one of our favorite apps Extreme Photo.
285 million people are visually impaired. 80% don’t have to be. Show your support and #BESHADY with us.